CBD for Dogs – Can It Help Cancer and Anxiety?
Although most of the talk in recent years has been about medical marijuana and the use of cannabidiol products for humans, CBD oil can also be beneficial for dogs that have been diagnosed with a range of conditions, such as anxiety, epilepsy, and cancer.
You’re probably thinking, “CBD for dogs? I’m supposed to get my dog high?”
That’s a very common concern that many dog owners have. And while the idea can take some getting used to, if you look at the helpful effects of CBD oil, you can see for yourself why it’s so beneficial for man’s best friend.
What is cannabidiol oil, exactly, and how can it help dogs? Check out the information below to learn more.
What is CBD oil?
CBD oil is a liquid that is extracted from the marijuana plant. Marijuana contains both THC and CBD. THC i.e. delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol is the ingredient that gives marijuana its mind-altering properties. If you smoke marijuana, you “get high” because of the THC.
But unlike THC, CBD doesn’t provide mind-altering effects. In fact, it can have an extremely positive effect on your body. Over the years, researchers have discovered that CBD oil can help with:
- Pain relief
- Reducing anxiety and depression
- Reducing cancer-like symptoms
- Reducing acne
- Improving cardiac health
- Enhancing neuro-protection
How does CBD Work?
Before you give your dog a dose of CBD oil, it’s important to know how it will work in their system. With humans, the body has two categories of endocannabinoid receptors: CB1 and CB2. These receptors are involved in various processes, which regulate mood, pain sensation, memory, and appetite.
These receptors can be stimulated by the endocannabinoids produced by the human body, or by plant cannabinoids.
Now, remember what we told you earlier?
Marijuana has two main ingredients – THC and CBD. THC directly activates the CB1 and CB2 receptors, leading to psychoactive effects. CBD activates the vanilloid, adenosine, and serotonin receptors, causing the positive effects previously mentioned.
- By activating the vanilloid receptor, also known as TRPV-1, CBD activates the hormones, which lead to the optimization of body temperature, and helps reduce pain and inflammation.
- It reduces the psychoactive effects of THC by inhibiting the FAAH enzyme, produced by CB1 activation. This why ingesting THC and CBD together can give you the positive medical effects of THC without making you feel high.
- Adenosine receptor activation leads to dopamine extraction. Dopamine leads to reduction of anxiety and depression.
- CBD also blocks GPR55 signaling. GPR55 is a G protein-coupled receptor. By doing so, not only does CBD reduce bone re-absorption, but it blocks cancer cell growth as well.
Now that you understand how it works in the body, let’s talk about how CBD oil can help your dog. Note: if you’re looking for the full spectrum CBD oil for sale for humans or pets, read our article on it in the link.
CBD Oil For Dogs
Up to this point, we’ve talked generally about the benefits of CBD oil and how it reacts in the human body. But CBD oil is more than just for humans, it’s helpful for dogs as well.
Let’s talk about how it can help your pet and even save their life.
Research done by the University of Madrid shows that CBD can act as an anti-cancer agent. Here’s how CBD can help with cancer:
- CBD boosts the immune system to produce cancer-killing cells
- CBD inhibits cancer growth by obstructing the cancer cell’s ability to produce energy
- These anti-cancer properties lead to glioma cell growth inhibition
- It can also work in conjunction with traditional cancer treatment to increase overall recovery
Anxiety and Depression
People often don’t realize that dogs too are susceptible to battling anxiety and depression.
Research done by WebMD shows that when dogs go through major changes in their lives, it is fairly common for them to experience anxiety or depression.
So, how can CBD oil help here?
CBD activates the adenosine receptors, which in turn activate dopamine and glutamate. Dopamine in particular is known as the “happy chemical”, which alleviates stress and anxiety.
Seizures and Epilepsy
Seizures and epilepsy can be extremely painful for your dog. 1 in 160 dogs in the United Kingdom alone suffer from seizures. In severe cases, it can lead to death and permanent brain damage. As a dog owner, nothing is more harrowing than watching your pet whining and shaking violently with pain from a seizure.
Seizures are not easily curable, and dogs that suffer from it are usually put on drugs such as phenobarbital and potassium bromide. While these dogs can alleviate seizures, it can cause heavy damage to your dog’s liver and other organs.
CBD has shown extremely positive results with seizure control. A survey of children with treatment-resistant epilepsy showed that a staggering 84% of the kids saw a reduction in seizure frequency, post-CBD.
CBD Oil Dosage for Dogs
Cannabidiol oil is safe for pets when used in controlled amounts, but large doses and continuous overdosing might result in fatigue and vomiting. Life-threatening risks associated with overconsumption of this oil is very rare.
Your dog can get his cannabidiol dose via a capsule, treats, or oil. No matter what, it should be taken orally. However, the dose may vary based on the form of CBD you’re giving your pet.
- Oils are usually consumed in drops, with the number of drops varying. On average, the dose is 2 to 4 drops, 2 to 4 times per day.
- Capsules will contain anywhere from 150 mg to 200 mg of cannabidiol each, so the dose is usually about 1 tablet once or twice daily.
- Treats will contain varying cannabidiol amounts, depending on the brand making the treats for dogs. Follow package instructions.
Talk to your veterinarian before giving your dog any supplements. And remember that the dose will also be dependent on your dog’s weight and the severity of his ailment. Your vet will help you with figuring out which product, and which dose, is best for your unique pet.
Best CBD Oil for Dogs
With a better understanding of the benefits of cannabidiol oil for dogs, you can begin your search for the best CBD oil products.
After consulting with your vet, you can check out the wide selection of products that are available in the Sensei CBD online store. There, you will find high-quality full spectrum CBD, as well as CBD isolate products, and every item is made using organic hemp from the United States.
Note: CBD oil for cats is also available!
CBD oil for dogs with cancer and other ailments has proven to be an effective treatment. CBD has long been a misunderstood product, but when you look at how the components in CBD oil and how they interact in the body, it’s clear that they offer major benefits for your dog. There are several products out there with CBD oil that you can purchase for your dog to help them with their ailments, in a natural and safe way.